5 Good Things Booklet – Printable Download

July 15th, 2009 § 69

**Update 7-30-2009** A big THANK YOU to everyone who has left a lovely comment and/or spread the word about this little booklet. I truly appreciate you!

At times, it can be so easy to take that slippery slide downward and focus on what’s not working. It happens to the best of us.

About 5 years ago, I noticed each night at dinner when we would ask the kids¬† “How was your day?”, we would get a lot of what went wrong for them. We (the grown-ups) would try and point out the good in the gripe du jour. This would lead to defensiveness from the kids and an overall unpleasant dining experience for all.

So, one night I started out the dinner conversation with “Tell me 5 good things about your day.” It ended up being a great conversation starter and the opportunity to teach the kids (and grown-ups) to focus on what is working. We still do this most nights at the dinner table. It’s always amusing when one of the kids has a guest for dinner and we ask them to participate. They get a shy, funny look on their face, but play along. Repeat guests know the drill and often prompt the question and want to go first.

Long story longer (!)… This little printable pdf booklet came from our dinner routine.

Booklet straight from the printer.

Booklet straight from the printer.

Booklet all folded up and ready to be put to good use.

Booklet all folded up and ready to be put to good use.

Booklet in action.

Booklet in action.

Click HERE to download. I hope you enjoy it! Feel free to leave a comment on a good thing about your day or life.

As always,  this is for personal use only.

note: the booklet doesn’t have to be used solely to record good things about your day. It’s also handy to jot down good things about a situation that is not ideal (your job, a relationship, etc). Pick any topic and find five good things about it.

Tagged: , , , ,

§ 69 Responses to “5 Good Things Booklet – Printable Download”

1. Rachel says:

Wow, what a great idea, I love this! I’ll be linking.

2. jenny says:

Thank you! This is awesome! I will definitely use this sweet little book.

3. Martine says:

Thank you very much for the download. I want to try this with my two children.

4. Andrea says:

What a great idea…thanks so much for sharing it with us!

5. Tammy says:

Thanks for being so generous! This is a wonderful thing, I’m off to print out one now.

6. [...] First off, Whitney from Whisker Graphics has made this 5 good things booklet, with an important message to boot. Get it here [...]

7. bekah says:

printed! love this! i printed a few for the people i work with, i think its a great thing to really focus on the good, thats what makes life wonderful!

thank you so much for sharing!

8. Jan says:

LOVE THIS!

9. marilyn says:

thanks for sharing…this goes on my “5 good things” for today! :)

10. Anna says:

This is so wonderfully inspiring! I just printed one off :) A great idea for kids, and for grown-ups as well!

When I was little my mom used to ask me to tell her one good thing and one bad thing about that day, so that I could vent if I needed to but still keep it in perspective.

11. lovely booklet! i saw this on kind over matter. it made me smile. i have mine printed and ready for me to fill out.
    xo

12. craftdr says:

This is a great idea! My daughter recently turned 12, and getting her to talk is getting harder and harder. Thanks so much for this – it’s going to make dinnertime so much fun!

Would you mind if I passed this on to Lori, the Crafts for Kids editor at http://www.handmadenews.org? I bet she would love to feature this idea, and would link out to your blog as well. She might even want to interview you!

Thanks again. I can’t wait to try this!

13. 3rdEyeMuse says:

this is terrific – thank you!

(in case you want to know, found my way here via kind over matter)

14. kristie says:

This is fabulous. Is it ok to use with the kids in my year 9 homeroom?

15. ashley inzer says:

this is fantastic!! thank you so much! (found you via kind over matter – you and i shared the same post on their blog)

16. Barbara says:

How wonderful to actually think of the good things each day in our lives! So often we worry of the negative. Each and every day I am thankful for family and friends who love me and support me through thick and thin, good and bad. I will have fun with this project. Thanks so much for this printable Good Things booklet! Sincerely, Barbara

17. Stacy says:

Hi Whitney! LOVE THIS! We started a family ritual at dinner after moving to Colorado called favorite parts. Someone starts it out and says what their favorite part of the day was, then picks the next person to say theirs and so on… it is fun to have guests and see their response. Maybe for our family we’ll change your idea to 6 good things to cover everyone in our family. thanks for your beautiful blog! brings a bit of “home” to CO.

18. rhoda says:

putting this post on my blog post for today to share with my readers. lovely idea!

19. Eveline says:

How lovely!

When I was suffering from an eating disorder, my therapist told me to write down five good things that happened every day. A very daunting task, because life was horrible, and nothing good ever happened to me.. Or did it? Having to do this list every night made that I was looking for ‘good stuff’ during the day. And soon, I filled out things that did not only ‘happen to me’ but I had an active part in. Things I did to help myself move on.

I am now a moderator for a Dutch forum for people who suffer from eating disorders, and I have shared this link with the people there. It might help them, like it helped me.

Thanks so much for sharing this!

20. erika says:

these are so cute. thanks for sharing your creativity! i’ll be linking on my blog :) http://puppylovepreschool.blogspot.com

21. Mary Anna says:

Thank you for allowing this free download! At our dinner table, we do “Mad-Sad-Glad.” We take turns naming something that happened that day that made us mad, made us sad and made us glad. My 4-year-old loves it! I’ve used my Top 5 to make notes of things that I did with my boys that I would have normally overlooked.

22. [...] nice way to think about life’s good things. Get the free printable from {here}. Found via {One Pretty Thing}. « Chalkboard Drink [...]

23. Kristin says:

Oh goodness I love this. I was sending off a little something to a blogging friend and included one of these in the package. I hope this gets around the world wide web and causes good things to pop out everywhere!! :)

24. mannequin says:

So nice! Typically, I need to be reminded about the GOOD things since the BAD things seem so overwhelming. Thank you:)

25. nancybreslin says:

Great idea, soo positive. I love it!

26. How ABSOLUTELY adorable, and a great idea. Thanks so much for sharing – I’m printing several of these to keep in a basket to use!

27. Daniela says:

Excellent!!! I will use it regulary. The atmosphere at home has been so negative lately, that to find this today has been kind of a signal. Thank you!!!

28. Stephanie says:

I love, love, LOVE this idea and I am hoping to implement this tradition as soon as my girls are old enough (they’re currently 5 months old and almost-3-years-old).

Thank you so much for the free printable…and the idea! :)

29. Francesca says:

Lovely idea. Everyone needs one of these!

30. Crafty P says:

Thanks so much for this! I’m definitely going to put it to good use this week!

31. csixberry says:

It is amazing how some people don’t realize until it is brought to their attention that most people focus on the bad and negative aspects of themselves, others and every day life. For every one good trait you find in somebody there are five bad traits you don’t like. I wonder why it is we tend to focus so on the negative aspects when it is so much more productive and rewarding to focus on the positive.

32. Suzanne says:

Thanks for this – I’ve been really trying lately to focus more on the positive, this is a great & simple idea. And a good thing about my day is that I ended up well under budget for my grocoery shopping this week. This is exciting for me!lol

33. LaFlo says:

What a lovely idea !! Thank you !

34. Laurel Vespi says:

I LOVE this.
    What a simple idea to help keep us focused on what’s working in our lives. I’ll definitely be sharing this little treat.
    Thanks for spreading positive energy in the world.
    Laurel

35. LaDonna says:

My dh has work; maybe just for today, but last week he had none. This is a good thing!

36. This is a wonderful way to remember the good!

With six kids… they need to remember this as well!

37. Miss Lissy says:

I can’t tell you how cool I think this is! My boyfriend and I do devotions together every night over webcam and when he found out that I wrote down five good things that happened every night before I went to bed, he wanted to do it too. We have been doing this since we first started dating back in November and it is great for our emotional well being and a great way to catch up with what’s going on in each other’s lives since we live so far apart.

38. Angela says:

I am a middle school English teacher, and this has become a part of my every day routine with the students. :)

39. This is very cute and what a great idea! I linked to it on my weekly link roundup (post is under my name). Thanks!

40. i have to say that the first thing that caught my eye was the big 5 on the cover of your booklet…our family is blended (kids from both my husbands first marriage and mine) but we all happen to have last names that start with ‘H’ so all our family & friends have called us the ‘H’ family for years – and there is 5 of us total so the number 5 is really special to us. we collect H’s and 5′s whenever we go on a vacation or just to remember a fun family time….so then I read what the booklet was intended for and LOVED IT EVEN MORE! great design!
    we do a nightly dinner thing we call ‘best and worst’. a different person starts every night and we go around the table and share the best thing from our day and the worst thing from our day. usually it starts a dialogue that helps us keep in tune with the kids and we don’t spend the whole night venting about work and whatnot. the only rule is that you MUST have a best that you share but you don’t have to have a worst. it’s awesome when there are 5 bests and no worsts! sorry to ramble – love your style and will be back often to see what’s new!
    take care!

41. Nathalie says:

Thank you! :o))

42. Gwen L. says:

I love this! This takes me back to college… when I would call home every week my mom would always ask for 3 positive things that had happened. Sometimes she still does this! It’s been a really good way to help me focus on all the good in my life. I’ll definitely be printing this out and using it!

43. We always do a “flop and top” with our kids. It’s a good way to talk about the day. This booklet is even better. We can get the kids to write down the good things they did or the good things that happened to them.
    Eveline.

44. [...] you get this charming booklet, which Whisker Graphics is giving away for free. A lovely thought and a lovely design. Definitely, go to their page and download it, look around [...]

45. Sue says:

I love the idea and the design. Just linked to it! Thank you for making and sharing it.

46. Anna says:

I’ve been doing this every day since just a few days after you posted this (in just a notebook now, I’m afraid, but will embellish soon!). I find it’s a really nice way to end my day, and it’s always the last thing I do before I go to bed.

I think I’m going to make a matching set of 5 Good Things notebooks for me, my mom, and my dad this Christmas to use for the coming year. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

47. [...] Whisker Graphics is the orignal designer, and the free download can be found here. [...]

§ Leave a Reply